England Select v Australia 1909

The authorities had decided that it would be good for the game to take an international match north of the border. So on a wet and windy Wednesday afternoon in front of around 3000 spectators the two teams took to the field at the Parkhead home of Celtic football club in Glasgow.


Gifford (Barrow), Miller (Wigan), Lomas (Salford), Dickenson (Warrington), Batten (Hunslet), Jolly (Runcorn), Lalley (Widnes), Jukes, Higson (Hunslet), Smith, Longworth (Oldham), Mann (Bradford) and Robinson (Halifax).


Bolewski, Heidke, Devereux, Morton, Messenger, Holloway, Anlezark, Burdon, Pearce, O'Malley, Walsh, Courtney and Graves.

Messenger having lost the toss kicked off into the wind and rain. The tourists were soon under pressure and England had points on the board after 15 minutes as Mann scored and Lomas, the captain, converted and soon after dropped a goal. Mainly due to the conditions most of the play was in Australian territory although a fine run by Devereux and some good passing gave the home defence a few problems but the attack came to nothing. Half time, England 7 Australia 0.

With the elements in the second half now favouring the visitors they were soon on the attack but the English defence held. Eventually Heidke took a pass from Bolowski and was bundled into touch near the line and the ensuing pressure resulted in a penalty converted by Messenger. England went back on attack and good passing saw Miller touch down in the corner with Lomas adding the extras. Then Miller again broke away and sent Longworth in under the sticks and Lomas converted. With 15 minutes left it looked all over but the game was to turn. The Australian forwards took command. Excellent play from Walsh and O'Malley saw a try for Walsh and goal for Messenger. Graves scored and the skipper again added the conversion. A brilliant run saw Morton score in the corner and Messenger's excellent touchline kick levelled the scores.

England Select 17 Australia 17

Thanks to Pat Walsh in Australia for providing the information on this page which is based on an article written by T J McCabe for the Sidney sports paper "The Referee".