Local Derbys - Hunslet v Leeds

In the early years the matches between the Leeds and Hunslet Clubs were always hard fought contests that were eagerly anticipated by all. Here are a few details of just some of those games.

Northern Union Cup 3rd Rnd 7th Mar 1903

This was the first meeting of the two clubs in cup competition since the 1892 Final. Before the kick off the huge crowd were entertained by the Rothwell Temperance Band. The ground was almost full two hours before the advertised start with many of them having walked to Parkside from the Corn Exchange. The crush of spectators forced hundreds of them over the barriers and on to the field but they were able to sit along the touchline as the solitary Policeman on duty was able to maintain order.

After a threatening morning the weather turned out bright and sunny although a strong breeze was blowing towards Middleton.


Place, J Whiteley, H Whiteley, Walter Goldthorpe, Hannah, Albert Goldthorpe, Everson, Shooter, Wilson, Glew, Tunningley, Walsh, Lunn, Wilcox and Brookes.


Dean, Evans, Llewllyn, Littlewood, Jenkins, Mosley, Grace, Moffat, Woolf, Taylor, Stead, Birch, Webster, Moon and Hewlett.

Hunslet won the toss and Mosley kicked off for Leeds into the wind. The early play was fairly even with a couple of good kicks from Albert Goldthorpe taking play towards the Leeds line but this came to nothing. At the other end Place had to save his side on two occasions. Hunslet then began to gain the upperhand, fine passing involving Albert and the Whiteley's took play downfield where Grace was penalised for off side however Albert's kick was blown wide. Leeds came back and a high kick from Grace was fumbled near the Hunslet line. A score looked certain but the final pass was ruled forward. Hunslet took play back to half way and from there Walter Goldthorpe had a kick at goal but that also went wide. Leeds had a further period on attack before a fine kick to touch from Albert took play near to the Leeds line. From the scrum Everson had a drop, again wide. Hunslet continued on attack and a crossfield kick from Albert found J Whiteley who beat Jenkins to score in the corner. Albert tagged on the extras. The remainder of the half Consisted mainly of scrums and kicks with neither side able to gain any advantage, although Albert had a drop which went wide and Evans for Leeds was pulled up for off side when he looked like scoring, so at half time it was Hunslet 5 Leeds 0

'Arh Albert' got the second half underway and straight away Hunslet were on attack, Jenkins saved a certain try and a forward pass prevented another. The Leeds line held and then after a period of midfield play they began to assert themselves. Both Everson and Albert Goldthorpe were injured in separate incidents whilst trying to keep the Hunslet line intact, but they were able to continue. Moffat crossed the line but the referee saw an infringement. The pressure told 15 minutes into the half when Mosley was obstructed and Littlewood kicked the penalty. With excitement at fever pitch Leeds came back straight from the restart. They kept up the pressure for most of the rest of the half with only occasional reliving kicks from Hunslet. Walter Goldthorpe saved the home side after a kick had been charged down and Leeds continued to press with the help of the strong wind. The Parksiders line held firm and in the final few minutes they broke away and were on the attack when the final whistle sounded.

Hunslet 5 Leeds 2

League Game September 12th 1903


Farrimond, Evans,Smithson, Mosley, Jenkins, Grace, Ward, Moffat, Woolf, Webster, Moon, Stead, Hewlett, Crumpton and McNicholas.


Place, J Whiteley, H Whiteley, Walter Goldthorpe, Hannah, Albert Goldthorpe, Jackson, Shooter, Wilson, Glew, Walsh, Uttley, Hopkinson, Brookes and Wray.

A large crowd gathered at Headingley to witness the second game of the season. Leeds were without first choice centres Llewellyn and Davies but they held Hunslet during a scoreless first half. Stead was injured soon after the break and this reduced the home side to 12 players but Leeds continued to hold out until 10 minutes from time when Albert Goldthorpe dropped a goal following a scrum. This inspired the Parksiders with Harry Whiteley and Hannah both scoring unconverted tries to condemn Leeds to there second defeat of the season.

Leeds 0 Hunslet 8

League Game September 10th 1904

Leeds went to Parkside for the second game of the season having beaten Batley the previous week. Albert Goldthorpe's dropped goal gave Hunslet the lead but Leeds came back with a try from Evans to lead 2 -3 at the break.

Five minutes in the second period Hunslet regained the lead when Everson scored an unconverted try. There was nothing between the teams for the rest of the half until two minutes from time when Mosley dropped a goal to equalise the scores. But the game was not over because from Albert Goldthorpe's restart the Leeds defence made a mistake, the Hunslet forwards dribbled towards the posts and Uttley dropped on the ball to score with Albert adding on the conversion with the last kick of the match.,/p>

Hunslet 10 Leeds 5

League Game April 2nd 1907


Young, Naylor, T Llewellyn, W Llewellyn, Rhodes, Brayshaw, Ward, Webster, Wainwright, Lunn, Harrison, Stead and Birch.


Walter Goldthorpe, Farrer, Everson, Smith, Ward, Albert Goldthorpe, Jackson, Wilson, Wray, Randall, Higson, Walsh and Shooter.

Leeds 21 Hunslet 19