Northern Union Cup Final 1910

Leeds v Hull

Leeds were appearing in the final for the first time having disposed of Hull Kingston Rovers 5 - 3, Rochdale Hornets 13 - 3, Keighley 7 -4, and Warrington 11 - 10.

The opposition Hull, who were playing in their third consecutive final, had beaten York, Batley, Halifax and Salford.

This game took place on Saturday 16th April. Both teams and many of the 19,000 spectators had difficulty travelling to the Fartown ground at Huddersfield even though a number of extra trains had been laid on. Heavy rain had fallen during the early part of the afternoon and therefore conditions were against open football.


Young, Fawcett, Walter Goldthorpe, Gillie, Barron, Ware, Sanders, Biggs, Jarman, Harrison, Topham, Webster and Ward.

The Match eventually Kicked off at around 4.20 and the Loiners took any early lead when Fred (Bucket) Young Kicked a penalty but this was soon equalised when Wallace dropped a good goal. This appeared to spur on the Humberside outfit because soon after Cottrell gathered a great crossfield kick and went over, Rogers added the conversion. More bad news for Leeds came when Sanders had to leave the field due to injury and with no substitutes allowed they were down to 12 men for the rest of the game. Hull half back and captain Anderson was also injured, he was able to continue but was forced out on to the wing. Leeds relied on Walter Goldthorpe's experience to keep them in the game but Hull led 7 - 2 at half time having enjoyed by far the best of the play.

In the second half Walter Goldthorpe pounced on a Hull mistake and raced away, he passed to winger Fawcett who drew the tacklers before passing back to the supporting Goldthorpe who went over for an unconverted try. About 10 minutes from time Anderson was penalised for off-side, Young kicked the penalty to level the scores at 7 - 7. In an exciting final few minutes Devereux gave his winger Rogers a chance to go in at the corner but he was adjudged to have knocked down the flag before touching down. Young had two unsuccessful attempts with drop goals. In the last minute Hull were penalised for obstruction, it was a long way out but Young attempted the goal but his kick fell just short and so the game finished.

Leeds 7 Hull 7

Northern Union Cup Final Replay

Just two days after the final over 11,000 were present at the same venue for this replay which was played in more favourable conditions. It was fine, warm and much faster underfoot although there was a fairly strong breeze.

Leeds had Fawcett at half back in place of Sanders with Rowe coming in on the wing. Whitaker replaced Biggs in the forwards.

Leeds kicked off with the wind behind them an soon took the lead with a Young penalty after Hull were off-side under the posts. Leeds kept up the pressure and had a try disallowed in the first quarter but then Young dropped a goal. After a series of scrums near the Hull line Webster went over and Young converted. Leeds were well in command now and Topham charged down a kick and scored with Young again adding the extras. He then kicked another to give Leeds a half time lead of 16 - 0.

The second half continued in much the same way. Walter Goldthorpe dribbled down field, picked up and went over for his final career try which Young converted against the wind. From the restart Ware ran down field passed to Gillie who set in Rowe. Young converted from under the sticks. Hull were reduced to 12 men for the last 20 minutes due to injury but they earned some respectability as Leeds appeared to relax. There were two late tries for Walton and Connell and three goals but it was all in vain as Leeds ran out winners.

The game had a hint of controversy at the finish when referee Priestley blew for time just before the 40 minutes were up, with spectators and police on the pitch.

Leeds 26 Hull 12